We’re seeing all kinds of gift ideas, special promotions and tasty treats at the Winter Markets these days – make sure to shop with both your weekly groceries and your holiday list in mind. You never know what you might just find amid the 60+ local producers at Nat Bailey WFM…
Member Appreciation Day
Vancouver Farmers Markets the non-profit society that makes the Nat Bailey Winter Farmers Market possible and our members are an important part of that! Check out some of the great deals at the market this week:
- A Bread Affair – $1 Organic Baguettes
- Blue Comet Seafoods – 10% Off Haida Gwaii line caught Spring Salmon
- Chef Enrick – $10 Off a 10lb. Wild Deep Dish Tourtière filled with Venison, Duck, and Pork. The ultimate Christmas Dinner – comes with a Free Jar of Fruit Ketchup! $110 (reg $120)
- Coconama Chocolates – $1 Off Boxes of Chocolate, $4 (reg. $5)
- Cropthorne Farm – $2/lb. Organics Potatoes (reg $2.50)
- Estevan Tuna – $1 Off all Tuna Loins
- Farm House Natural Cheeses – 10% Off NEW WINTER CHEESE all December
- Frostbites – Mini Bottles of Cordial (perfect for stockings!), Buy 4 Get 1 Free
- Helmers Organics – Organic Carrots, $2.50/lb.
- Jane’s Honey – $1 Off Gift Packs of 3 Honey Varieties, $6 (reg $7)
- JJ’s Trucketeria – $1 Off Market Bowls
- Jobst-Hof Orchard – Save $15 on Case of 12 x 500ml Juices in glass swing top bottles, $45 (reg. $60), Walnuts for $4.49/lb. (reg. $5)
- Klippers Organics – Save $2 on 2 Bags of Organic Carrots, $8 for 2 (reg. $5 each)
- Le Meadow’s Pantry – $2 off Mini Preserves Gift Bundle – 3 Varieties of Jam wrapped in linen cloth from Ratatouille, $15 (reg $17)
- Ostro Organics – Save $15 on Gift Bundle of 3 x 100ml Organic Seed Oils, 3 x 190g Organic Seed Butters, and 1 x 750ml Organic Coconut Oil, $60 (reg $75)
- Pate Pastiche – $1 Off Small Sundried Tomato Pate, $9 (reg. $10)
- Rockweld Farms – Wing Special – Buy One Pack, Get 2nd Pack 50% Off, or Buy 2 Get 1 FREE
- SoleFood Street Farms – 50 cents Off Any Jar of Preserves, including Salsa Verde, Ratatouille, Hot Sauce, and Cucumber Relish
- Stapleton’s Sausage – 10% Off Steak, Mushroom, and Bison Sausage
- Take A Fancy Chocolates & Sweets – $1 Off Boxes of 4 Caramels, including fleur de sel, habanero, or spiced rum
- The Granola King & Her Majesty’s Pie Co. – 10% Off All Granola, 2 x 6 inch Classic Crust Pies for $15
- Urban Digs Farm – Free Gift of Product ($5-10 value) for Market Members
- West Best – 3lbs of Any Coffee, $40 (reg. $45). Free Coffee with purchase of 1lb or more of beans
Not a member? Sign up online or at the Market Information Booth
Gift-giving from the Market
T’is the season to think of little somethings for your favourite people and we think the market is a great place to find them! Vendors have an assortment of delectable edibles and we’ve got some great gifts at the Info Booth too!
- 20th Anniversary Market Merch: We pulled out the stops this year and have some pretty great t-shirts, canvas bags and cedar crates. Everything is limited edition and sustain-ably sourced!
- grown in vancouver calendars: Beautifully illustrated, featuring produce grown in Vancouver, this calendar is a perfect teacher gift and should probably go on your wall too!
- Market Money gift cards: What could be better than receiving a shopping spree to the market? We stick market money onto adorable Jane Koo cards that you can fit into an envelope! Special perk: buy $100 worth of gift cards and receive $10 to spend yourself!
Check out our handy 2015 Holiday Gift Guide for more ideas!
Save the world and win $500 in market money
This weekend is your LAST CHANCE to enter to win $500 in Market Money from Electrorecycle! All you have to do is clear out the old, broken small appliances that are cluttering up your cupboards and closets, and bring ’em down to the Electrorecycle tent at Nat Bailey. Easy right?
See you at the market!
Featured in the Globe and Mail’s Ultimate BC Holiday Gift Guide in 2014, these adorable gift cards will make anybody on your list feel special!
Market Money is the perfect stocking stuffer
Have you seen our little wooden tokens? They work just like cash at any Vancouver Farmers Market vendor and can be spent on food trucks, craft beer, wine and spirits, organic produce and more. Market money never expires and can be used all year long!
Market Money Gift Cards
We always have illustrated gift cards available at the market. We stick four $5 market money tokens to a decorative card that fits in a letter-sized envelope. You get to personalize them and give them to your favourite people.
Special Holiday Offer
This holiday season, we’re offering $10 coupons* to people who buy $100 worth of gift cards (that’s 5 $20 cards, for you non-math folk). You get to give some sweet gifts and receive a little treat for yourself!
Can’t make a market? Contact our office to arrange a purchase mid-week: 604.879.3276
*Unlike market money, coupons are only available while supplies last and can only be used at the Winter Markets in January 2016. Use all at once – no change given!
We’re excited to announce that we’ll be hosting a Gingerbread House Competition in conjunction with our Holiday Market on December 12th. We’re looking forward to seeing what kind of creative structures will be built from candy and cookies. We have 6 categories including child and youth categories! Each entry in the child and youth categories will receive a 2016 Playland One Day Playpass from our friends at the PNE.
We encourage you to enter individually or on behalf of your business. Entry fees range from $5-$20 and prizes range from $50 – $250 per category. We hope to have entries in all categories and from all across the city. Visit our Gingerbread House Competition page for all the details including entry forms.
The Gingerbread House Competition takes place alongside our annual Holiday Market which will feature over 60 vendors selling their holiday best! We say you can find everything for your holiday table and gift giving because our vendors bring a unique mix of food and craft, reflective of the talent we have at our combined 9 markets throughout the year.
NEW FOR THIS YEAR: We will have alcohol vendors sampling and selling wine, beer and spirits just like at our summer and winter regular season.
Join us as we celebrate the season with gingerbread and other tasty treats! Mark your calendars and save room on your gift list for a trip to the Holiday Market and Gingerbread House Competition
December 12, 2015
10am – 4pm
Croatian Cultural Centre
3250 Commercial Drive
Admission: $3 per person, kids under 13 are free.
VFM needs your help getting on the green train to zero waste and beyond! We’re working on reducing the total amount of waste created at the markets, which includes streaming all recyclable materials and eliminating non-recyclable garbage altogether.
Our vendors are currently seeking out compostable and recyclable alternatives for their serveware and packaging, and we’re analyzing our operations to determine various ways of reducing our impact. Here’s how you can help:
Reduce – Please bring your own shopping bags to the markets and reduce the need for another plastic bag.
Eliminate – Styrofoam trays will no longer be available from our produce vendors. Styrofoam isn’t currently recyclable through curbside programs, and your raspberries will do just fine in a paper bag!
Reuse – Eco-savvy shoppers bring their reusable mugs, mason jars, and shopping bags to the markets for refilling. Don’t forget to bring yours when you come to the markets.
Recycle – VFM food trucks take back all of their serveware for composting/recycling – make sure you return it to them when you’re done eating your delicious market lunch.
Dispose… elsewhere – Garbage pick-up is expensive! Please support our weekly non-profit events by not bringing outside waste into the markets – that includes coffee cups!
VFM would like to thanks its shoppers, community partners and vendors for their support in making this important transition to BEYOND ZERO WASTE!
Did you know that modern Salad Mix is a BC invention? California often gets the credit, but according to the book 100 Mile Diet, it was the creation of Glorious Organics in Aldergrove, debuted to the world at Expo ’86!
The Glorious Garnish and Salad Co. first appeared at the East Vancouver Farmers Market back in 1996. They were one of the original members of Langley Organic Growers, a collective made up of 5 farms including: Myers Organics, Friesen Farm, Glen Valley Organic Farm, Olera Farm, and Glorious Organics. One of the few certified organic producers at East Van at that time, Langley had line ups from the very start.
“The stall was so full of produce from the 6 different collective members, I used to suspend boards from the peak of the stall frame to increase surface area for displaying plants!” says Susan Davidson, one of the founders of Glorious Organics. “Opening line-ups were pretty intense, too – we had one worker full time in the back of the truck just breaking down and stacking boxes.”
Glorious Garnish dissolved in 2006 and became Glorious Organics Co-op, a cooperatively owned farming collective situated on Fraser Common Farm in Aldergrove, BC. Along with growing a huge variety of salad greens, market veggies, and flowers, the co-op has strong commitments to ecological farming, land stewardship and succession planning for future generations of farmers, and community education.
Glorious Organics currently appears with Friesen Farm at Trout Lake, Kitsilano and the Winter Market as Organic Farm Connection. To find their stall, just follow the line up.