We’ve got a full roster of delectable stuff this coming Saturday!
- Chef’s Natural Sausage is back – follow the aroma of sausages on the grill for samples
- Chef Enrick will return with his sweet & savoury pies and authentic cretons
- Don’t forget The Mushroom Man – Scott is back with his foraged & farmed morsels
- Greendale Meats returns with free range, grass-fed, non-medicated beef
You’ll also see Jobst-Hoff with cherries, Guichon Farms with potatoes & peppers, Natural Village with herbs & carrots, G & D Growers with raspberries, Farmer Koo with potted flowers & veggies, Sull Farms with blueberries, Plenty Wild with zucchini and more … whew… that’s a lot of fresh produce to choose from!
Food Fact of the Week
Did you know that honey never goes bad? To prevent crystallization, keep honey at room temperature or in the freezer, not the fridge. If your honey crystallizes, place the open jar in a pan of hot water and heat gently until no crystals remain.
To learn more about honey and other bee products, visit Jane’s Honey Bees and stop for a chat.
What’s for Lunch?
Culver City Salads will be onsite this week with fresh & flavourful salads – always vegan and gluten-free, always packed with loads of colourful vegetables and proteins. Their dressings are made from scratch, gluten free and vegan, and you can take a bottle home with you for later. The ladies of Culver City work with local farms, whole ingredients, and strive to be as sustainable as possible, using only 100% compostable packaging.
Play the Spinnerama! If you get to the market early you can spin the Carnival Wheel at the entrance to the market for a chance to win one of 4 weekly prizes! Kids always win something.
Speaking of kids, we’ve got a weekly “Kid Zone” set up at the entrance for them to do some bubble blowing or chalk drawing, along with facepainting and live music.
See you at the market!
This week at Mount Pleasant: Peaches, currants and apricots have started to appear and blueberries are perfect right now! Looking for veggies? Asparagus, onions, kale,peppers and leeks are here, and we have eggs and mushrooms this week too!
New to the Market this week*:
- Fable Naturals will be appearing for the first time at Mt Pleasant. If you haven’t tried their products yet, now is your chance. They make skincare products from lip balms to scrubs with fair trade and organic products that are good enough to eat.
- Culver City Salads are making a first time appearance too! Their ingredients come from local farms, and their delish vegan and gluten free salads are packed with loads of veggies and protein. Striving to be as sustainable as possible, they use 100% compostable packaging. Ask them about their “Going Solar” campaign.
- Sweet Thea artisan bakery has been creating cakes and hand made chocolates for over 15 years. They will be bringing their famous hand-made pies, tarts and cookies. Perfect addition to your picnic in the park!
- Odd Society Spirits: is a designated craft distillery in East Vancouver dedicated to creating wonderfully unique West Coast spirits using local ingredients. They produce all their spirits from scratch. Their current lineup includes East Van Vodka, Wallflower Gin, and Odd Society Creme de Cassis.
Our community table this week will be MealShare. Chat with them on Sunday to find out the good work these folks are doing in the community.
Pick up your very own Mount Pleasant Market canvas shopping bag exclusive to our market, designed and made right here in Vancouver. They make great gifts too!
Did you know as of July 1st, the DropSpot program collected over 265,000 lbs of food scraps from more than 38,000 drops? Don’t forget to bring your weekly compostables to our DropSpot and help save additional landfill.
See you soon!
*See Interactive Market Map for full vendor list
Want to get this sent to your inbox? Sign up at What’s at the Market
Summer is here! Last week we saw the first apricots of the season and this Saturday we’ll see the first peaches arrive at the market! Not to mention all the other great summer foods that have arrived over the past weeks including blueberries, field cucumbers, cherries, beets, carrots and potatoes.
Some vendors to check out this week:
- Sull Farms – returning for the first time this season we welcome back Sull Farms. If your looking for berries you wont miss them! They’ll have blackberries, blueberries & raspberries, perfect to eat on their own or in a pie!
- Rootables – Looking for a great snack to take to the beach with you? Stop by Rootables and try a sample of their kettle cooked root vegetable or white truffle potato chips.
- Ragged Designs – jewelry inspired by nature! Stop by and take a look at earrings, pedants and rings – these beautiful pieces make the perfect gift, even if it’s for you!
Donation Station – the donation station is back this week. We are collecting donations for the Dr. Peter Centre food and nutrition program. This program allows Vancouver’s most vulnerable citizens to receive healthy, wholesome meals to help with taking HIV medication and other treatments so they can better manage their illness and lead healthy lives.
#BerryFest at Main Street – July 16: Do you make a good berry pie? The West End Farmers Market is the perfect place to pick up berries for your pie entry. Find more details here!
Food Scraps Drop Spot – Don’t forget to bring your food scraps to the market and drop them at the drop spot before you do your weekly shop! This by donation program has diverted over 265,000 lbs of food scraps from the landfill! Find out more here.
*See Interactive Market Map for full vendor list
Want to get this information sent to your inbox? Sign up at What’s @ the Market
Oh, summer has arrived! Farmers are bringing in blueberries, field cucumbers, apricots, peaches, cherries, beets, carrots and potatoes on top of all the mixed greens, chard and sprouts that keep us going through the spring. Here are a few vendors you don’t want to miss at Trout Lake:
- Empire Valley Beef: Joyce comes down only once a month with her pasture-raised, grass-fed beef. Don’t miss this opportunity to try some!
- Saltwest Naturals: New to Trout Lake, Jeff and Jessica harvest salt from the Salish Sea west of Vancouver Island and infuse them with fresh organic ingredients
- Sweet Thea Cakes: Got a sweet tooth? This bakery specializes in pies, tarts and cookies – the sweeter, the better!
Berry Fest at Main Street – July 16: Trout Lake is the perfect market to pick up berries for your pie entry. Find more details here!
Trout Lake Birthday Bash – July 19: Do you have pictures or memories from the last 20 years? Bring them to the market next week! We’re celebrating our birthday with cake, music and good people! More details here…
See this week’s interactive market map for the full vendor list
Want this information sent to your inbox? Sign up at What’s @ The Market
Sull Farms, Guichon Farm and G&D Growers will be bringing raspberries this week! Enjoy these tasty summertime gems as they are or buy a bunch for making jam.
Kerrisdale favourite Jobst-Hof Farm finally returns to Kerrisdale for the season laden with tree fruit extraordinaire from Oyama.
We’re expecting royalty at this Saturday’s market! Her Majesty’s Pie Company and The Granola King will honour us with an audience. Their offerings are fit for a king and commoner alike!
We’re also welcoming The Jerky Baron this week who will grace us with his exotic flavours of beef jerky, made in East Vancouver.
Have you tried camelina oil yet? Three Farmers will be sampling this delicious cooking oil. The light, nutty, earthy tones of the cold-pressed camelina oil make it easy to include into your every day diet and all your favourite meals. It can easily be used to replace any other cooking oil and makes every dish memorable.
PureBread from Whistler will be offering their delicious range of pastries and breads. Try the salted caramel bar. It’s amazing. Actually – try it with a cup of Brazilian coffee. Mogiana Brazilian Coffee will be onsite (and they just might need some love after the past events of this week, if you get my drift). Plus we’ve got Marie’s Guilt Free Bakery for those of you searching for gluten free.
Rootables Chips, The Jam Ladies, Great Himalaya, Valley Gold Bee Co. for fabulous honey, and lots more. So come early. But wait… there’s more! Come early and play the Spinnerama Wheel. It’s at the entrance to the market and each week we have 4 prizes for the lucky people who land on the right wedges (kids always win too). It’s free to spin and you just might win!
See you at the market!