February 16th is Fresh Food Donation Station day at Riley Park Farmers Market. Please consider donating a fresh food item on this day to Little Mountain-Riley Park Neighbourhood Food Network for their community food programs.
What is the Fresh Food Donation Station?
The Fresh Food Donation Station is a program of Vancouver Farmers Markets that collects fruits and vegetables, nuts, eggs, and other food items at our farmers markets for distribution to food programs in the community. Partners include inner-city schools, hospices, women’s and seniors’ centres, and neighbourhood food networks.
How do I support the Donation Station?
Donate items purchased at the market, or give Market Money or monetary donations that can be used to purchase additional items at the end of the market day. Tip: Look for the Donation Station booth at the market and make sure to ask if there are any specific items needed by our community partners, such as fresh fruit or eggs.
2018-2019 Donation Station Partners
Little Mountain – Riley Park Food Network is the current Donation Station partner for Riley Park Farmers Market. The LM-RPNFN receives fresh produce donated at the market once a month to distribute to those in need. Many programs benefit, including:
- Newcomers Community Kitchen – a weekly multicultural cooking, eating, sharing food program for newcomers to Canada.
- Syrian Community Kitchen: – a monthly drop in kitchen for Syrian immigrants that provides an opportunity to cook together, learn more about available produce, socialize and increase English language skills.
- Exploring New Foods: – a kitchen workshop that teaches participants how to make a healthy meal, which includes a “take home” bag of food to replicate the meal at home. Participants to this program include recently settled refugees, and low income seniors and individuals in the community. Exploring New Foods is a pilot project funded by Vancouver Coastal Health.
Upcoming 2018-2019 Riley Park Winter Dates: Feb 16, Mar 16, Apr 20
Please consider donating: fruit, vegetables, canned fish, nuts & eggs
Hastings Community Centre is the current Donation Station partner at Hastings Park Winter Farmers Market. Donations collected once a month at the market will support two programs that are run through their Family Enrichment Centre, helping to bring families together to cook and eat:
- Souper – Soup Club: a weekly program that prepares nutritious soups to share with families with young children. Through this program, different vegetables, herbs, spices, legumes and grains are used to show parents different ways to make simple, inexpensive and tasty soups even kids will like.
- Community Kitchen: a monthly program for parents with young children to cook together in the Community Kitchen while their children are child-minded. As a group, the facilitator and parents plan, budget, shop and cook a 3 course healthy and nutritious meal to take home for their family.
Upcoming 2018-19 Hastings Park Dates: Feb 24, Mar 31, Apr 28
Farm to School BC is an umbrella organization that supports farm to school-type programs, empowering students and school communities to make informed food choices while contributing to vibrant, sustainable regional food systems that support the health of people, place and planet. The F2S Vancouver Area Hub has three main goals: 1) to procure local, sustainable and healthy foods for students in schools 2) to engage students with hands-on food systems activities that foster food literacy, and 3) to connect schools with their neighbouring communities.
F2S programs are thriving in the Vancouver Area region; however, for a number of reasons, many schools and programs are struggling to procure a significant amount of local, healthy, sustainable foods for their students and youth. Help us during the 2018/19 school year, as different schools and organizations come to collect donations.
Upcoming 2018-19 Riley Park Winter Dates: TBD
Please consider donating: potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, squash, apples, pears, kiwi fruit, onions, garlic, dried fruit and apple chips, jam, juice, canned fish (tuna or salmon), and eggs
Are you a Vancouver-based community group that would like to participate as a Donation Station partner? If you think your program would be a good fit for one of our markets, email us at email@example.com
2017–2018 Donation Station Partners