Fresh Food Donation Stations annually collect 3,000 lbs of fresh fruits and vegetables for meal and snack programs at Vancouver’s inner-city schools, hospices, women’s and seniors centres, and community food programs. For the 2018-19 season, we are working towards increasing the number of Donation Station partners and expanding the overall capacity and reach of the program.
Help support our Donation Station Partners! Donate items purchased at market or give Market Money and monetary donations, as they will be used to purchase additional items at the end of market! Tip: Look for the Donation Station sign and make sure to ask if there are any partner-specific much-needed items such as fresh fruit or eggs!
2018-2019 Donation Station Partners
The Riley Park Winter Farmers Market has partnered with Little Mountain – Riley Park Food Network to operate our Donation Station for the 2018/19 winter season. The LM-RPNFN has received fresh produce donated at the market once a month since the start of the season to distribute to those in need! There are many programs that benefit:
- Newcomers Community Kitchen – a weekly multicultural cooking, eating, sharing food program for newcomers. Marta Ramos, Organizer, who was herself a newcomer and program participant, was trained to facilitate the kitchen. Their recipe book (2015) shares stories of their respective cultures and food traditions.
- Syrian Community Kitchen: – a monthly drop in kitchen for Syrian immigrants provides and opportunity to cook together, learn more about available produce, socializing and increasing English language skills.
- Exploring New Foods: – a kitchen workshop with a take home bag of food to replicate the meal at home. There are 10 people representing the various cultures served by settlement services and vulnerable seniors and those on disability insurance. This is a pilot project funded by VCH and needs sources for great produce!
Upcoming 2018-2019 Riley Park Winter Dates: Dec 15, Jan 19, Feb 16, Mar 16, Apr 20
Please consider donating: fruit, vegetables, canned fish, nuts & eggs
Farm to School BC is an umbrella organization that supports farm to school-type programs, empowering students and school communities to make informed food choices while contributing to vibrant, sustainable regional food systems that support the health of people, place and planet. The F2S Vancouver Area Hub has three main goals: 1) to procure local, sustainable and healthy foods for students in schools 2) to engage students with hands-on food systems activities that foster food literacy, and 3) to connect schools with their neighbouring communities.
F2S programs are thriving in the Vancouver Area region; however, for a number of reasons, many schools and programs are struggling to procure a significant amount of local, healthy, sustainable foods for their students and youth. Help us during the 2018/19 school year, as different schools and organizations come to collect donations.
Upcoming 2018-19 Riley Park Winter Dates: TBD
Please consider donating: potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, squash, apples, pears, kiwi fruit, onions, garlic, dried fruit and apple chips, jam, juice, canned fish (tuna or salmon), and eggs
We are excited to welcome back Hastings Community Centre as a Donation Station Partner this winter at the Hastings Park Winter Farmers Market! This partnership will support two programs, run through their Family Enrichment Centre. Generous donations will help their food programs and bring families together to cook and eat.
- Souper – Soup Club: Prepared weekly, nutritious, homemade and hearty soups to warm and share with families with young children. Through this program, different vegetables, herbs, spices, legumes and grains are used to show parents different ways to make simple, inexpensive and tasty soups even kids will like.
- Community Kitchen: Parents with young children cook together once a month in the Community Kitchen while their children are child-minded. As a group, the facilitator and parents plan, budget, shop and cook a 3 course healthy and nutritious meal to take home for their family.
Upcoming 2018-19 Hastings Park Dates: Dec 16, Jan 27, Feb 24, Mar 31, Apr 28
Are you a Vancouver-based community group that would like to participate as a Donation Station partner? If you think your program would be a good fit for one of our markets, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2017–2018 Donation Station Partners