Recipe: Pink Devilled Eggs
Pick up a dozen of cage-free eggs on Sunday, April 1st at our Spring Eggstravaganza at the Hastings Park Farmers Market and add a pop of colour to your spring celebrations with this week’s recipe from Just Giulia (Chef Giulia of Lombardo’s Pizzeria) for Pink Devilled Eggs! Giulia uses beets to colour these delicious canapés, perfect for a Sunday brunch. Check out Chef Giulia’s YouTube channel for this recipe and more great recipes!
Pink Devilled Eggs
by Giulia Lombardo
Yield: 12 eggs
3 beets, peeled and quartered
12 eggs, hard boiled
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons dijon
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Siracha
3 sprigs chives chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Paprika to garnish
- Peel and quarter the beets, add the beets to a pot of cold water. Transfer the pot to the stove and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes. Remove from the stove and let cool. Add the white vinegar once the liquid is cooled.
- To peel the shell off the hard boiled eggs, tap the egg on a cutting board to crack the shell, be sure to tap the top and bottom of the egg. Then place the eggs under running cold water and gently peel the shell away.
- Add the peeled eggs into the beet juice, refrigerate for minimum 2-3 hours.
- Remove the eggs from the beet juice and slice in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon scoop out the yolks from the centre of the whites into a bowl.
- In a mixing bowl combine the yolks, mayonnaise, dijon, Siracha and chopped chives, season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the yolk mixture into a pipping bag fitted with a star tip, pipe the filling into each egg half
- Garnish with a piece of chive and a sprinkle of paprika.