Recipe: Super Greens Pasta with Crispy Mushrooms
With spring just around the corner, we’re starting to see fresh greens return to the Winter Markets in the form of kale, chard, sorrel, watercress, and nettle. This week’s recipe from Just Giulia (Chef Giulia of Lombardo’s Pizzeria) for Super Greens Pasta with Crispy Mushrooms, incorporates pan fried mushrooms with dinosaur kale, red chard and leeks for a satisfying pasta dish that cooks up in minutes. Perfect for breaking out of that late winter squash and root vegetable routine we’re all stuck in at the moment…
Super Greens Pasta with Crispy Mushrooms
by Giulia Lombardo
500 grams semolina spaghetti pasta
5 leaves dinosaur kale, sliced thin
5 leaves red chard, sliced thin
1/2 leak, chopped
1 shallot, sliced
5 mushrooms, sliced thin
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and cook for 18-20 minutes.
- In a large saute pan on medium to high heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil, place the sliced mushrooms in the pan aarrange in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper. Do not over crowd the pan as that will make the mushrooms soggy. Cook about 1-2 minutes a side until golden and crispy, remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan on medium heat add anther tablespoon of olive oil and add the leaks, shallots, kale and chard. Season with salt and pepper and saute 5-8 minutes until the greens have wilted and the leaks and kale have become translucent.
- Once the pasta is ready strain and toss with the hot greens.
- Add the butter and parmesan, toss to combine.
- Top with the crispy mushrooms and enjoy!
Make sure to check out Chef Giulia’s YouTube channel for more delicious, seasonal recipes!