What’s Fresh At Kitsilano – Oct 16
Celery Cashew Nut Soup Recipe
By James Maddock, This recipe for celery and cashew nut soup combines the subtle flavour of celery with the nuttiness of cashew.
- 1 medium sized onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sized potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 head celery, wash, remove leaves and chop
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons broken cashew nuts
- 1 1/4 pints vegetable stock
- 3/4 pint milk
- seasoning to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Saute the prepared vegetables gently until the onion is transparent.
- Add the cashews and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the milk and allow to cool slightly.
- Blend in a blender.
- Reheat to serve and add seasoning to taste.
- Yield: 4 portions
acorn squash, apples, basil, bell peppers, bok choy, broccoli, brussel sprouts, butternut squash, carrots, celery, chard, cauliflower, cucumbers, corn, delicata squash, eggplant, fennel, fresh herbs, garlic, green beans, green onions, grapes, heirloom tomatoes, leeks, new potatoes, melons, mushrooms, napa cabbage, patty pan squash, plums, pumpkin, quince, radishes, raspberries, salad mix, sunflowers, snap peas, sugar peas, tomatoes, turnips, watermelon, zucchini, zucchini flowers
– Delicious Chocolate Covered Cherries and much more from Havery’s Orchard
– Ginger Beer from Dickies Ginger Beer
As our summer market season comes to a close, we only have two more Kitsilano Markets Left! Our last Kits Market date is October 23rd. Come by and enjoy the last few markets as we wrap up a great season.
Vancouver Farmers Markets winter season kicks off at Nat Bailey Stadium on Saturday, Nov 5th followed by the opening of Hastings Park Market (at the PNE fairgrounds) on Sunday, Nov 6th stop in and and show the openings of our winter season some love!
Celebrate the harvest with Vancouver Farmers Markets THIS SUNDAY at RIPE 2016! RIPE features a knock-out roster of farm-to-table chefs paired with VFM producers to present 8 mouth-watering small plate tasting stations, seasonal cocktails, and local craft beverage. More info on participating chefs and vendors, and to buy tickets, at the RIPE event page. Tickets available at the door.
Get a complete list of this week’s Kitsilano Market vendors here.
Discover our five other summer market locations on our Markets Page.