Who’s at Nat Bailey – Jan 9
Would you believe all the local goodness available in January?
Salad turnips, radicchio, dried beans, apples, carrots, squash, potatoes and so much more. Every year, we see a little more variety even in the cold, wet, winter months. So if you thought you knew about winter produce, think again! And come see what we’ve got at the farmers market!
Nat Bailey Pop-Up
We’ve got Yellow Basket Baking, The Pie Co., Country Village Market, SPARK Kombucha, and Real Meals at the #NatBaileyPopUp this week. Stop by, sample some of their wares and tell us who you think we should keep around! More details here
We’re partnering with Little Mountain Neighbourhood House who will receive fresh produce donated at the market this year and there are multiple programs that will benefit!
- The Child Development Centre (CDC) provides a nutritious lunch program for 15 kids ages 3-5, Monday to Friday
- The Little Mountain Out of School Care (LMOSC) program, for 30-45 kids ages 5-12, provides a nutritious breakfast program
- Newcomers Community Kitchen is a weekly multicultural cooking, eating, sharing food program for newcomers. Marta Ramos, Organizer, was herself a newcomer and program participant was trained to facilitate the kitchen. Their recipe book (2015) shares stories of their respective cultures and food traditions. The Community Meal is a nutritious, low-cost 3-course meal Fridays for 20 local residents for a nominal fee
- Open Table serves a hot lunch every Thursday for 40-60 people. It is run on a very low budget, and food donations are help to provide tasty nutritious meals, and challenge the cooking team to be adventurous with whatever donations we receive! Weekly bread and produce distribution on Tuesdays for those in need
- Sir Charles Tupper Secondary School: The cafeteria feeds kids in need, needs to be more cost-recoverable and serve more local, healthy food. A new school garden will be built in 2016 to increase local food production.
Stop by the Donation Station this week to talk to some of the people who will receive the food and put it to good use!
CSA Share Fair
On January 16, we’re featuring vendors who offer Community Shared Agriculture programs during the growing season. This is a great opportunity to catalyze on your resolution to eat more healthfully this year and develop a closer connection with a local farm! Check this list for updated program information.
Food Truck Fest
Tell all your friends! We’re hosting Food Truck February again and are putting food trucks up to a zero waste challenge! More details to come…
See you at the market!