In season recipe: Pumpkin Soup
As the days grow shorter and the autumn air a little crisper, we welcome the return of soup season once again! The team at VFM eat A LOT of soup from October to April – it’s one of the best ways to warm up and refuel after a cold, wet market day.
This seasonal Pumpkin Soup comes from our friend Ligia Lugo of The Daring Kitchen. It’s easy to prepare, gets an A+ for nutritional value, and is oh so comforting on a cold autumn day.
By: Ligia Lugo
2 cups pumpkin, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
A pinch nutmeg powder
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
Pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees C and line a baking tray with butter paper.
- Place pumpkin cubes over the prepared tray and drizzle a tablespoon of oil over it. Coat oil well over the vegetable cubes and then place them all in a single layer.
- Roast pumpkin for about 25 to 30 minutes or until it starts to caramelize or turn dark brown in color.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and add onion to it.
- Sauté onions until it softens a bit. Stir in garlic and cook until it starts turning brown in color.
- Add roasted pumpkin cubes, broth, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer the soup for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Now, cool the soup and blend it into a smooth mixture.
- Again, transfer the soup into a new pot and heat it to boil.
- Add salt, black pepper, cinnamon powder, and nutmeg powder to it. Add a little water if the soup is too thick.
- Let it boil for a minute and then lower its heat. Cook it until the soup is of desired consistency.
- Stir in liquid smoke and cook it for another 30 seconds.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds, serve hot soup, and enjoy!
Looking for some Thanksgiving dessert inspiration? Ligia has a number of yummy pumpkin recipes on her blog right now, including Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream, Healthy Pumpkin Whoopie Pie, and Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle.
PLUS – shop for fresh ingredients from our farms and producers using our Product Search Tool, or order ahead and pick up directly from your farmer via VFM Online Orders – visit eatlocal.org/online for more details!