2023 Board of Directors – Call for Nominations
Your Local Farmers Market Society dba Vancouver Farmers Markets
Your Local Farmers Market Society (YLFMS, doing business as) Vancouver Farmers Markets (VFM) is a dynamic community-based non-profit social enterprise with a vision of a resilient local food network that values people and the land. We pursue our vision by creating vibrant and welcoming markets that build community, feed people, employ staff and support small farms and producers. We currently operate a network of nine weekly neighbourhood farmers markets throughout Vancouver on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) people.
Part of our work is to increase access to local food and/or market opportunities for diverse populations and marginalized groups. VFM is in deep consideration of how our operations can be more inclusive, anti-racist and equitable. We invite BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, and those who have experience building inclusive systems to apply.
This year, the Board of Directors has three vacancies to fill, and we anticipate two current directors will stand for re-election. Board terms are three years long and the commitment required of VFM Board members is about 10 hours/month.
Update: Nominations are now closed, as of midnight on Tuesday, May 9, 2023.
VFM’s nominating committee is seeking candidates with the following:
Skills and Experience:
- Governance/board experience
- Food producer/entrepreneur
- Advocacy (municipal and other)
- Strategic communications
- Diversity, equity, inclusion, reconciliation
- Commitment to advancing the VFM mission, vision, values and strategic plan
- Collaborative and respectful communicator, adheres to VFM Code of Conduct
- Familiarity with non-profit governance or the ability and commitment to learn
- Familiarity with farmers markets in Vancouver’s diverse neighbourhoods
- An understanding of our regional food system
- Attendance and informed participation at 6–9 board meetings per year
- Active participation on at least one Board committee
- Optional off-site meetings and VFM Board representation where appropriate
- Participation in fundraising/membership promotion/sponsor acquisition
- Attendance at the society’s Annual General Meeting, All Vendor Meeting and any Special General Meetings
Interested candidates must be YLFMS members in good standing by Thursday, May 18, 2023 (at least 30 days prior to the Annual General Meeting scheduled for Saturday, June 17, 2023). This means that the last date to renew your membership, if already not done is the midnight of May 17, 2023.
Candidates must contact VFM’s Nominating Committee via email at email@example.com no later than the close of nominations on May 9, 2023 with:
- 200 word bio statement outlining their pertinent expertise and interest in joining the VFM Board of Directors
- Written confirmation that if elected, the candidate consents to becoming a director and will comply with the Society’s Bylaws: https://eatlocal.org/assets/uploads/2014/05/2017-11-25-YLFMS-Transition-Bylaws.pdf
Individuals who have lived experience as vendors, market neighbours, shoppers, volunteers, coupon participants or other stakeholders are strongly encouraged to identify this experience in their submission. Please include “YLFMS 2023 Board Candidate Nomination” in the subject line.
Further details on VFM’s board nomination and voting process may be found in the Society’s Bylaws posted on the VFM website at: http://eatlocal.org/about-us/