COVID-19 Update on the Winter Markets – March 13
March 17, 2020: We are currently working with our municipal partners to determine whether the Riley Park and Hastings Park Winter Markets will be open as an essential food service this weekend (March 21 & 22). Please check our homepage and social media channels for further updates throughout the week.
March 13, 2020: As of this afternoon, we would like to inform you that health officers at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) have given their approval for Riley Park and Hastings Park Winter Markets to remain open this weekend for regular hours of operation. We have been in constant communication with VCH since the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak, and in consultation with them and other market operators in the province, we have implemented the following measures at our markets:
- No food sampling
- Hand washing/sanitizing stations will be in place for shopper use throughout the markets
- VFM staff and vendors are asked to stay home if they are sick
- Reminder notices have been issued to all vendors in regards to proper food handling practices
Maintaining public health and safety is our upmost priority, and as such, we will continue to monitor the situation with VCH and comply with their recommendations in regards to the ongoing operations of our markets.
At this time, we would like to remind our valued customers that Vancouver Farmers Markets are a crucial source of income for over 280 BC farms and producers, and remain one of the best places in the city to access fresh, healthy food. We ask that you treat the markets like any other retail food establishment (i.e. grocery store) and advise you to spend no more time than is necessary to purchase your safe, healthy, and nutritious foods.
We also encourage you to protect yourselves, your fellow shoppers, and VFM staff and vendors by observing the following VCH recommendations:
- Maintain social distancing practices while shopping
- Avoid excess crowding by leaving the market once you have completed your shopping
- Wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if hand washing is unavailable
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue or into the crease of your elbow
- If you are sick, stay home
- Wash all produce thoroughly before using it and regularly wash your reusable produce/shopping bags
More information on the Covid-19 virus can be found on the VCH website at this link: http://www.vch.ca/about-us/news/vancouver-coastal-health-statement-on-coronavirus
We will continue to monitor the situation with VCH and provide updates in regards to the status of our market operations on our website (eatlocal.org) and through social media (FB, Instagram, Twitter).
From all of us at Vancouver Farmers Markets, we hope that you remain safe and healthy and we thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this time.