This Week at Hastings Park – March 6
We have all the winter veg you’re looking for at Hastings Park: apples, cabbage, beets, carrots, leafy greens, kohlrabi, squash, kale, onions, garlic, potatoes, leeks, sprouts, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, nettles….everything to make some delicious winter recipes.
Here’s a simple Celery Root and Carrot salad recipe for some winter veg inspiration:
- ½ large celery root (celeriac), peeled, chopped*
- ½ pound carrots, peeled, chopped*
- ¼ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey*
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Celery leaves and chopped Granny Smith apple* (for serving)
Place celery root and carrots in a large pot; add 6 cups water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook until tender, 30–35 minutes. Let cool slightly. Purée in a blender with yogurt, honey, coriander, and ginger until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Serve soup topped with celery leaves and apple.
*ingredients available from our Hastings Park farmers Klippers Organic Acres, Cropthorne Farm, Crisp Organics, Shalefield Organic Gardens and Six Legs Good Apiaries.
- FREE Evo membership – March 13, March 20: signup for a free Evo membership ($35 value) and 30 minutes of free minutes at the market. Evo’s car share program offers tons of user friendly features, including seats for five, back seats that fold down completely, bike and snowboard attachments and easy pickup/drop off using your membership card or your smart phone.
- Bike Registration – March 20: Hastings Park Sunrise Community Police is coming to the market and encouraging shoppers to register their bikes on their app to prevent bike theft and retrieve bikes that have been stolen.
- Easter Sunday, March 27: Urban Digs Farm is showing off their cute, baby animals for Easter fun at Hastings Park. Come have a look at the cutest little chicks and maybe a baby goat! Ask Julia anything you want about the animals – we’ll also have colouring for the kids.
Connect with Us!
Keep connected with your favourite market and signup for weekly blog updates! Click here to sign up for Hastings Park or sign up for any of our other Vancouver Farmers Market newsletters.
Like our the Hastings Park Farmers Market Facebook page, write a review, tag your Instagram photos and Tweets @vanmarkets #HastingsParkWFM – help this market grow and spread the word!
Get involved by volunteering at the markets! We are looking for Market Hosts at Hastings Park – for more information, please visit our website here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you at the market!
For a complete weekly vendor schedule, check out our Weekly Market Map.