Warm vibes this winter with Vancouver Farmers Markets
November 9, 2022
VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver Farmers Markets (VFM) launched its winter season of 2022 with the Riley Park Winter Farmers Market last Saturday, November 5th, and the Hastings Park Winter Farmers Market on Sunday, November 6th.
This year, shoppers can expect to see both winter markets return to regular market operations after a successful summer season. We aspire to bring over 85+ farms and producers, food and coffee trucks at Riley Park and 35+ farms and producers, food and coffee trucks at Hastings Park this year.
Riley Park Winter Farmers Market returns to its regular operations with more than 80 local vendors setting up stalls on both sides of Ontario St., offering up the freshest array of BC-grown foods in the city, every Saturday.
Just a day after the opening of Riley Park, its sister market came back to life at Hastings Park Farmers Market. We are hosted at Hastings Park – Centregrounds. We have expanded our horizon further at the Hastings Park Market this season to offer opportunities to a number of new and diverse vendors. Shoppers can expect to find new local farms, craft beverage producers, artisanal food makers, and food trucks.
A note from our ED
Many folks in Vancouver still think of going to the farmers markets as a summer activity, but you’d be surprised how many fresh local products are available, even in the winter months. As the strange weather patterns that are becoming a new kind of a normal and the inflation is leading to increased costs for everyday goods, our creative and resilient group of local farms and producers are adapting to these changes to plant and prepare for the winter season. And they are ready to welcome you back to the winter markets – rain, snow or shine!
Vancouver’s winter markets were critical in the pandemic when grocery shelves were empty and they continued to be important lifelines for small farms and producers, each of them actively adapting to climate change, supply chain issues and shifting weather patterns.
Why visit Farmers Markets?
- At a time when many of us are stretching our dollars, we know that they go further when we spend them at local businesses, and furthest of all when they go directly to the producer at a market. Together we can build a resilient local food network and enjoy some of the healthiest, most delicious food while doing it!
- Our winter markets are eligible for redemption points for BCFM Nutrition Coupons until 18 December 2022.
- By stocking up at Vancouver’s winter markets, you are supporting our local farms and producers who are actively adapting to climate change and helping build a resilient local food network for all of us.
- Explore the best of the province by taking a walk through a winter market – did you know we have local kiwis and they only come to market in the fall and winter seasons? Or that carrots and kale taste the sweetest after a frost?
- Vancouver’s winter markets are the best places to run into friends and neighbours or spot kids in boots and raincoats dancing in the rain.
- The winter season is the perfect time to stock up on ingredients for soups, stews and curries.
- In addition to the best proteins and produce our province has to offer, our winter markets always have hot food and take-away treats, easy prep meals, jams, and more!
About Vancouver Farmers Markets: Founded in 1995, Vancouver Farmers Markets (VFM) has grown to become one of Canada’s leading farmers market organizations, with eight weekly markets that see over 470,000 shoppers per year. Our markets support 280 small BC farms and producers, and help keep 3,400 acres of local farmland in sustainable food production annually.
VANCOUVER WINTER FARMERS MARKETS 2022-23 SCHEDULE
|Riley Park||Saturdays||Nov 5-Mar 25 (closed Dec 25, Jan 1)||10am-2pm||50 E 30th Ave & Ontario St|
|Hastings Park||Sundays||Nov 6-Apr 30 (closed Dec 26, Jan 2)||10am-2pm||Hastings Park – Centregrounds|
More info on the Winter Farmers Markets at eatlocal.org.
Photos and Videos from the markets at Instagram.com/vanmarkets
Monika Chowdhry – Communications Manager
Vancouver Farmers Markets
Download a copy of Press Release here