This week at the West End – August 29
We’ve been very lucky this summer with such warm weather and beautiful market days! This weekend is changing of season perhaps, the forecast is calling for rain (I’m sure the farmers are happy about this!) and the peaches are on their last days! As we move into the cooler season we start to see apples, pears and squash! Just a reminder the market runs rain or shine! If it’s raining, dust off those rain boots and grab your umbrella – it’s going to be a refreshing day at the market!
We challenge you this Saturday and for the rest of September to really get to know your farmer and your farmers market! This challenge comes in the form of a scavenger hunt – so get ready for some fun!
Here’s what you need to do:
Pick up a scavenger hunt postcard at the market info tent or download it here
Complete the tasks on postcard:
- Hug or shake hands with a farmer
- Get your face painted
- Try an heirloom fruit or vegetable
- Find something organic that is sold in a jar
- Surprise someone with a bunch of sustainable flowers
- Take home some farm fresh eggs
- Buy a pastry or bread from an artisan baker
- Bring home a new type of cheese
Don’t forget to snap some photos along the way and tag them #fairtofarmer (each photo tagged also counts as an entry!)
Drop off any completed cards at the info tent or mail directly to Salt Spring Coffee
You’ll be entered for some great prizes like foodie events (including our very own RIPE celebration), CSA shares and great coffee to name a few! Salt Spring Coffee draws every Friday! More details here
Food Scraps Drop Spot
Still don’t have a green bin collection program in your building? Bring your food scraps to the market and we’ll compost them for you.
As of September this will be the only drop spot left open in the City and in order to keep it open for the rest summer, we need to collect $2/drop to cover hauling fees. Here’s what to do:
- Are you a dropper? Donate at least $2 every time you drop.
- Not a dropper? Donate to keep the program going
- Want to volunteer? We’re always looking for enthusiastic people to share the Drop Spot love. Sign up to volunteer today!
Our annual RIPE celebration takes place on October 18, in Yaletown, at the Roundhouse Exhibition Hall. Less than 30 early bird tickets are left, get yours while they last! Check our RIPE event page for all the details, including participating chefs and farms!
See you at the market!
For a complete list of vendors every week, check out our online schedule