Summer are ripe early and tomatoes are already popping up at the farmers markets! Join us this August as we celebrate the “Love Apple” with tastings, beautiful and informative displays and recipes to make with those delectable heirlooms you just found at the market.
Take a picture of the weirdest, most imperfect and obscure tomato that you find at the Trout Lake, West End, Kitsilano, Mt Pleasant, Main St Station or Downtown Farmers Markets, tag it #inglorioustomato and you could win money to spend at Vancouver Farmers Markets! Winner picked on Friday, August 25th.
- Trout Lake – Saturday, August 26, 9am-2pm (North Parking Lot, John Hendry Park)
- Kitsilano – Sunday, August 27, 10am-2pm (Kitsilano Community Centre, 10th Ave and Larch St)
- Tomato Display: Did you know there are over 150 varieties of tomatoes at the Trout Lake and Kitsilano Farmers Markets? Including but not limited to 150VarietiesofKlippersOrganicTomatoes (click on the link for a PDF with pictures!). Check out our display tent to see some of the different varieties as well as suggestions for how to eat them
- Tomato Tasting: What better way to get to know tomatoes than to taste them? We’ll sample Black Krim, Green Zebra, Taxi, Brandywine and many more!
- Recipes: Got a favourite? Share it on our Facebook page! We’ll share some of ours at the markets
Spread the Word!
- Tag an #inglorioustomato photo on Instagram
- Tweet about #tomatofest @vanmarkets