The summer sun is hot and field tomatoes are already popping up at the farmers markets! Join us this August as we celebrate the “Love Apple” with tastings, beautiful and informative displays and recipes to make with those delectable heirlooms you just found at the market. And the fun doesn’t end at the market, this year we’re extending the fun with the help of our restaurant partners!
Ugly Tomato Instagram Contest
Take a picture of the weirdest, most imperfect and obscure tomato that you find at the Trout Lake, West End, Riley Park, Kitsilano, Mt Pleasant, Main St Station or Downtown Farmers Markets, tag it #inglorioustomato and you could win money to spend at Vancouver Farmers Markets! Winner picked on Saturday, August 26th.
- At Participating Restaurant Partners (see list below) – August 21 – 27 – enjoy special Tomato Fest menu items created especially for festival week.
- Trout Lake – Saturday, August 26, 9am-2pm (North Parking Lot, John Hendry Park)
- Kitsilano – Sunday, August 27, 10am-2pm (Kitsilano Community Centre, 10th Ave and Larch St)
- Tomato Display: Did you know there are over 150 varieties of tomatoes at the Trout Lake and Kitsilano Farmers Markets? Including but not limited to 150VarietiesofKlippersOrganicTomatoes (click on the link for a PDF with pictures!). Check out our display tent to see some of the different varieties as well as suggestions for how to eat them
- Tomato Tasting: What better way to get to know tomatoes than to taste them? We’ll sample Black Krim, Green Zebra, Taxi, Brandywine and many more!
- Recipes: Got a favourite? Share it on our Facebook page! We’ll share some of ours at the markets including favourite recipes from some of your favourite local restaurants and chefs.
- NEW for 2017 Tomato Fest Creations at Participating Restaurants – This year at the festival’s partner restaurants, you can order an original Tomato Fest creation August 21-27. Participating restaurants include: Vij’s, Medina Café, Belgard Kitchen and Rocky Mountain Flatbread (Kitsilano and Main St), Beach Bay Cafe, Orto Artisan Pasta, Sage Bistro (UBC) and Forage. Don’t forget to capture the delicious dishes and share on social (see below).
Spread the Word!
- Tag an #inglorioustomato @vanmarkets photo on Instagram
- Tweet about #tomatofest @vanmarkets