COVID-19 Update on the Winter Markets: April 17
You can view this week’s Riley Park Market Map here, and Hastings Park Market Map here. Please note that while we aim to update these maps by noon each Friday, vendor schedules can and do change last minute.
We’re pleased to confirm at this time that all six of our scheduled summer markets will be open this season as essential services, with full social distancing and safety measures in place. For the time being, our summer markets will look and feel differently as we work to keep them safe and open to the public – more details on that in the weeks to come.
This week we will continue to offer the 30 minute window of time for seniors (65+), shoppers with mobility challenges, and others most vulnerable to COVID-19 at Riley Park. The reserved time runs from 10am-10:30am every Saturday and can now be accessed from any zone entrance – see map for details.
Please use our markets to stock up on fresh food and prepared food items only. The markets are not functioning as social gatherings at this time and we request that, whenever possible, shoppers send only one member of their household to the market. This will help greatly to reduce wait times at the entrances of our markets.
VFM’s COVID-19 Response and Updates
As we continue to implement measures to keep everyone safe, we ask that you review our list of best practices for shopping at the Winter Markets during COVID-19:
What We Are Doing for Your Safety
Maintaining the safety of our shoppers, vendors, and staff is our utmost priority and as such, the following safety measures are in place at the markets until further notice:
- Social distancing – 6ft. (2 m) of space is to be maintained between market attendees at all times.
- Stall spaces are reconfigured to ensure shoppers have plenty of space to select and purchase products.
- Smaller collections of vendors are operating in cordoned off zones. Check the Riley Park page after 12pm on Friday for up-to-date information on zones and vendors.
- Each zone has a maximum capacity. Capacity of each market zone is monitored by VFM staff members who count every person entering and exiting their zone.
- 30 minute window for seniors (65+), shoppers with mobility challenges, and others most vulnerable to COVID-19 at Riley Park, from 10am-10:30am every Saturday.
- Shoppers waiting in line at market entrance points, or at vendors stalls are asked to stand at 6ft. intervals.
- Signage will be in place to direct shoppers to entrance and exit points.
- Markets will be food only.
- No Market Money transactions for making purchases – cash, debit/credit cards only.
- Increased number of hand washing/sanitizing stations will be in place throughout the markets.
- No product sampling of any kind.
- No dogs or other animals are permitted in the market.
Do Your Part to Keep Farmers Markets Safe and Open
We also encourage you to protect yourselves, your fellow shoppers, and VFM staff and vendors by observing the following Vancouver Coastal Health recommendations:
- Stay home if you are feeling sick.
- Observe social distancing – maintain 6ft. (2 m) of space from others at all times.
- Limit market attendance to one person per household in order to reduce wait times for all shoppers.
- Shop, don’t stop. Come prepared with a list of the items you need and limit your time in the market to essential food shopping only.
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or into the crease of your elbow.
- Avoid handling produce and food items you do not intend to buy. Wash your produce thoroughly.
- Regularly wash your reusable produce and tote bags.
More information on the Covid-19 virus can be found on the VCH website at this link: http://www.vch.ca/about-us/news/vancouver-coastal-health-statement-on-coronavirus
Please note: the status of our market operations can change at any time. We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation with our municipal partners and provide updates on our website and through social media (FB, Instagram, Twitter).
From all of us at Vancouver Farmers Markets, we hope that you remain safe and healthy and we thank you for your continued support and understanding during this time.