Food Truck February – Week 1
This year’s Food Truck February is all about delicious food and zero waste. Wells Can is providing us with 16oz wide-mouth mason jars and we’ve got the cutest cozies to make sure your food (or drink!) stays at the right temperature. Pick up your very own signature jar and cozy and participate all February long for only $5!
Here’s a sneak peek of some of the #MarketJar meals you can fill up on this week at Nat Bailey:
- Disco Cheetah: pick up a Jar Salad that’s packed with protein and nutrients featuring quinoa, barley, greens, yogurt dressing, nuts, veggies and choice of Bulgogi Beef, Chili Chicken and Soy Tofu
- Aussie Pie Guy: one of the most locally-sourced items, get this Pepper Steak and Ale Stew that features veggies from Klippers Organic Acres, Forstbauer Family Food Farm and beer from Bomber Brewing!
- Yolk’s Breakfast: their yogurt parfait features layers of house-made granola, yogurt and fruit compote
- Feastro-the Rolling Bistro: Deconstructed Breakfast Taco – haven’t you always wanted to eat a taco in a jar?
- Eli’s Serious Sausage: Bratwurst-in-a-Jar – it’s a great way to go gluten-free and take advantage of all the sauces
- Chilitank: fill up your jar with chili and all the toppings!
Take a picture of your #MarketJar, post it on Instagram, tag @vanmarkets and you’ll be entered to win a farmers market #ZeroWaste survival kit!
In the tradition of Chinese New Year, the lion will make an appearance to dance and bestow good luck and fortune on local producers, in the hope that better weather will return for the 2016 planting season. The lion will forgo eating the usual imported lettuce during the ceremony this year in favour of seasonal greens that will be hung from stalls throughout the market.
Other New Year festivities at the market this Saturday include a red envelope give-away to shoppers, a visit from the Hua Foundation to promote their Seasonal Choi Guide, and local offerings like meat, fish, and vegetables to help shoppers prepare a healthy New Year’s feast for the family.
Water Bath Canning & Pressure Cooker Demos
Since we’re featuring jars this February, the experienced folks at Wells Can are onsite all month to help you make the most out of yours! This week they’ll have:
- On-site Calibration & Repair: Pressure Canners & Can Sealers
- Make your own Tin Can Coin Bank
- Canning: Hot water bath and Pressure Canning w/ Jars & Tin Cans
It’s a packed Family Day Long Weekend and lots to do for everyone. (Did we mention it’s Member Appreciation Day?)
See you at the market!