In Season: Vegan Herb, Leek & Tomato Galette
Giorgia Zanone is an Italian chef and baker living in Vancouver whose Instagram feed is alive with beautiful images of her handmade pasta, desserts, and gourmet meals.
She recently paid a visit to our new Downtown Farmers Market at šxʷƛ̓ənəq Xwtl’e7énḵ Square – Vancouver Art Gallery North Plaza to shop for ingredients for her contribution to our In Season recipe campaign. The result? This delicious and easy Vegan Herb, Leek & Tomato Galette made with organic produce from Cropthorne Farm.
Follow Giorgia’s Instagram feed for more rustic Italian cooking inspiration!
Vegan Herb, Leek & Tomato Galette
By: Giorgia Zanone
Ingredients for the savoury herb dough
- 300 g organic unbleached all-purpose flour
- 250 g vegan butter
- 90 g cold water
- 10 g apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of mix herbs (I used thyme, rosemary and oregano)
Ingredients for the filling
- 4 leeks
- 1/3 cup cooking sake or white wine
- 300 g cherry tomato/heirloom tomatoes
- 15 basil leaves
Find products using our Product/Vendor Search Tool.
- Dice the vegan butter in small 1×1 cm cubes and keep refrigerated.
- Add flour, salt and finely chopped herbs into a large bowl.
- Toss the cold butter inside the flour and press with your fingertips until the mixture looks grainy, with some small pieces of butter still visible.
- Add the iced water with the vinegar until your dough comes together and there is no more dry flour visible. Do not overwork the dough. It will be ready as soon as you can squish the dough in one hand and it stays together. If you have a food processor, this step will be easier and faster – add the cold butter to the flour/salt, pulse for a few seconds and then add the liquid and pulse until the dough forms.
- Once the dough is formed, make a square shape or a flat ball, wrap it with plastic really well and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight. You can also make bigger amounts and freeze for future use.
- While the dough is resting, chop the leeks and sauté them in a little bit of olive oil on medium-low heat, then add some cooking sake or white wine and let all the liquid evaporate. It will leave a really good flavour. Adjust with salt and pepper, cook for about 10-15 minutes until soft. Keep leeks aside at room temperature.
- Divide the cherry tomatoes in half and/or slice the heirloom tomatoes, finely chop some basil leaves and let them marinate together with salt and pepper in a bowl for 30 minutes or more.
- Once the dough is ready, roll it onto parchment paper in a rectangular or round shape.
- Keep about 1 cm from the edge of the pie dough free from the filling and add the sautéed leeks. Top it up with the colourful cherry/heirloom tomatoes, fold the edge of the galette to the inside and cook in a preheated oven at 350F for about 40 minutes. If needed, rotate the tray and bake again for 10 more minutes.
- Take out of the oven and top the galette with fresh dill flowers, tiny basil leaves, thyme flowers and grated lemon zest.
- Enjoy warm or room temperature – one galette serves 4-6 people.
Banner photo: Giorgia Zanone