Saturday, August 22 at the West End Farmers Market
If you have been to a market lately you would have noticed the abundance of tomatoes filling the market stalls. This weekend is no exception and we’re celebrating at our Trout Lake and Kitsilano markets with Tomato Festival! While we don’t have a festival at the West End, here’s how we can get involved to celebrate the “love apple”!
- Ask one of the farmers about the varieties of tomatoes they grow. Did you know there are over 150 varieties available at the Vancouver Farmers Markets! That’s a lot of tomatoes!
- Try a new variety that you might not have seen before!
- Try a new recipe or can some and enjoy them all winter long! Check out our Facebook page for ideas!
Update: Market Money
Our Market Money system is back to its normal operation, we will be accepting debit only, as per usual. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding with our temporary system last Saturday.
Salt Spring Coffee is offering you the chance to get up close and personal with local farmers, and the tasty stuff they grow! You could be rewarded with great prizes like foodie events, CSA shares and great coffee to name a few! Pick up your scavenger hunt postcard at the information booth. Get all the details here!
Food Scraps Drop Spot
Still don’t have a green bin collection program in your building? Bring your food scraps to the market and we’ll compost them for you.
As of September this will be the only drop spot left open in the City and in order to keep it open for the rest summer, we need to collect $2/drop to cover hauling fees. Here’s what to do:
- Are you a dropper? Donate at least $2 every time you drop.
- Not a dropper? Donate to keep the program going
- Want to volunteer? We’re always looking for enthusiastic people to share the Drop Spot love. Sign up to volunteer today!
Our annual RIPE celebration takes place on October 18 in Yaletown at the Roundhouse Exhibition Hall. Less than 30 early bird tickets are left, get yours quick! Check our RIPE event page for all the details!
See you at the market!
For a complete list of vendors every week, check out our online schedule