Back to School Snack: Sesame Tempeh Bites
Looking for a healthy snack idea for back to school and work lunches? This protein and calcium packed recipe for Sweet Sesame Tempeh Bites comes from the team at Tempea, makers of local, organic, non-GMO soy tempeh. Tempea started out with VFM back in the summer of 2016 and is now a staple in our growing roster of vendors producing plant-based foods.
About tempeh: Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian food produced from soy beans that have been fermented using a bacterial culture. It is rich in many nutrients including protein, fibre, and a variety of vitamins and minerals. Read more about the benefits of tempeh here.
Sweet Sesame Tempeh Bites
- Melt the coconut oil on a pan, slightly over medium heat.
- Slice the tempeh in to cubes, approximately ½ inch cubed.
- Fry the tempeh until all sides are deep brown.
- Remove the tempeh and pat them dry with paper towel.
- Salt tempeh cubes lightly.
- Toss the tempeh with maple syrup so that it is covered but not dripping.
- Put half the sesame seeds in to a dish and toss the maple-covered tempeh on top. Sprinkle the remaining sesame seeds on top until most of the tempeh is covered.
- Place in oven at 350℉ for 5-7 minutes.
- Eat right away on its own or add to salads with miso dressing, appetizer platters, or serve on vanilla ice cream!