The Registered Holistic Nutritionists from Canadian School of Natural Nutrition are back this week at West End Market from 9am-2pm. Stop by their tent for a complimentary 20 minute nutritional consult, and in the meantime check out their recent post on the health benefits of strawberries…
It’s no coincidence that strawberries are heart-shaped. Everything about these beautiful berries is good for you. Strawberries are packed with vitamins, fibre, have high levels of antioxidants, and the same amount of vitamin C in a serving as an orange.
Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Patty Javier Gomez, picked up some gorgeous strawberries at last week’s market to make this week’s recipe: Strawberry Refrigerator Jam.
Although containing fruit, most conventional store bought jams also contain a large amount of sugar! This recipe contains only a Tbsp. of honey and relies on the flavour-packed fruit to provide the majority of sweetness. The addition of chia seeds gives you extra fibre and essential fatty acids. It is also super easy to make and requires no canning.
Strawberry Refrigerator Jam
By: Patty Javier Gomez, R.H.N.
2 cups fresh strawberries, washed and stem taken out
1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1 tbsp. honey
- In food processor or blender, blend strawberries and banana
- Pour strawberry mixture into a saucepan over medium heat
- Add vinegar, Chia Seeds and honey, stir
- Turn up heat and bring to a boil
- Bring heat back to medium/low and stir for 5 min
- Turn off heat and pour mixture into a mason jar and refrigerate for a few hours, mine was agood consistency after about 12 hours.
- Can be used as a jam on toast, or a pastry filling, or just over a nice coconut ice cream.