Thanksgiving Weekend at Kitsilano
We’ve got you covered at the Kitsilano Farmers Market for all your Thanksgiving essentials! Helmers Organic Farm has over 7 varieties of potatoes, suiting all your roasted, mashed and boiled potato needs. Stein Mountain has a 20′ stall filled with garlic, onions and heirloom squash varieties. Find plump and fresh cranberries from Cranberry Meadows and juicy apples from Jobst-Hof. The Kitsilano Farmers Market is your one-stop shop for fresh, local produce, perfect for this holiday weekend.
Butternut Squash Pie Recipe
Need some inspiration for this squash season? Put a spin on an old classic and use butternut squash instead of pumpkin for an equally decadent desert!
Check out this recipe from Taste of Home
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups mashed cooked butternut squash (available at Stein Mountain, Klippers, Cropthorne, Crisp Organics, Organic Farm Connection, Langley Organics, Ice Cap Organics)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs (available at Capella and Langley Organics)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Cut out scraps with a leaf-shaped cookie cutter for garnish if desired; place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Beat in the squash, butter, eggs, water and vanilla until smooth. Pour into crust.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Bake leaf cutouts for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pie and cutouts on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie until chilled. Garnish with pastry leaves and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Get your tickets now for RIPE 2015!
Our annual RIPE Dinner on October 18 is a true celebration of the harvest – a showcase of local ingredients from our farms and producers paired with some of Vancouver’s top chefs and restaurants, including Chef Andrea Carlson of Burdock & Co, Chef Chris Whittaker of Forage, Chef Meeru Dhalwala of Vij’s Rangoli, Chef Ned Bell of Yew seafood + bar, and Chef Quang Dang of West Restaurant.
Check out the farmers featured at RIPE at the Kitsilano Market this Sunday: Helmers’ Organic Farm, Klippers Organics, and Golden West Farms.
For more information, visit our website HERE.
See you at the market!
For a complete weekly vendor schedule, check out our Weekly Market Map.