What’s Fresh at Trout Lake – Oct 8th
Sausage, Red Bell Pepper & Spinach Pesto Pizza
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 Tbs
- 1 Italian sausage, casing removed (such as Stapleton Sausages, pictured)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin sticks
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 pre-made 12-inch thin pizza crust
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a food processor, blitz the spinach, garlic, parmesan, pine nuts, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. With the motor running, add the oil in a thin stream until pesto-y. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet and add the sausage. Break up with a wooden spoon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To the pan, add the red pepper. Add a little more oil if needed. Throw a teeny dash of salt in there.
- Grab your crust and evenly spoon the pesto over it. Sprinkle a little cheese on top. Then add some sausage. Then some cheese. Then some peppers.
- Bake according to package directions, (around 10 minutes) slice it up and eat the WHOLE THING.
From Bev Cooks.
For more Local Food Global Flavour recipes, look out for our recipe cards throughout the market! #localfoodglobalflavours
acorn squash, apples, basil, bell peppers, butternut squash, broccoli, brussels sprouts, bok choy, cantaloupe, carrots, celery, chard, cauliflower, cucumbers, corn, delicata squash, eggplant, fresh herbs, garlic, green onions, grapes, heirloom tomatoes, kale, leeks, potatoes, mushrooms, patty pan squash, pears, plums, pumpkins, radishes, raspberries, salad mix, tomatoes, turnips, watermelon
Celebrate the harvest with Vancouver Farmers Markets at RIPE 2016! Tickets are on sale now for our annual dinner fundraiser, which takes place Sunday, October 16 at The Roundhouse. RIPE features a knock-out roster of farm-to-table chefs paired with VFM producers to present 8 mount-watering small plate tasting stations, seasonal cocktails, and local craft beverage. More info on participating chefs and vendors, and to buy tickets, at the RIPE event page.
Ready, set, SCAVENGE! Pickup your Salt Spring Coffee’s Edible Scavenger Hunt card and complete 5 activities to be entered to win Salt Spring Island swag, $100 market money or tickets to our annual Ripe harvest dinner.
Find us in the north parking lot of John Hendry Park / Trout Lake.